Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Is it wrong for Christians to Battle rap?

Picture of Isaac Knox

Is it wrong for Christians to Battle rap? 

     I feel that it's all a matter of the heart.Whats your motive behind doing it? Is it for your own glory? Is it to break others down? I can't judge anyone's heart but I can analyze the fruit and I feel there can be powerful fruit in battling if done with the right motive.  Yes the Bible speaks of not breaking another person down. But in the Hip-Hop world battling is supposed to be done with love and with respect for the culture. At the end of the battle we know that the cracks on the other emcee was for fun and shouldn't be taken literally.If your in a battle you should know what to expect, we know that it's all a display of hyperbole.You shouldn't feel the person is breaking you down to destroy your life or something: It's a sport. The Battle world is filled with many people who don't know the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Why not infiltrate that world by battling in excellence and being a Godly example. Don't put God in a box! Can Battling and keeping your testimony be done at the same time.Yes, I believe I have found the guy who has accomplished that. He is a rapper that resides in Orlando that goes by the name of Issac Knox. He creates witty battle lines that can resemble a creative cracking session between youth group attenders at Denny's. It's all love. I don't feel the man ever crosses the line when he battles. He doesn't degrade women, curse or blaspheme Christ. All Issac Knox does is create high quality battle raps that stay in line with his faith. It's genius. Check out one of his battles and give me your take on this matter.

Warning: Hindu Rock curses(Some may not be able to handle). Issac Knox is the one who is a Christian.


2 comments:

  1. Paul,

    This is definitely an interesting question and topic that I'm sure is controversial. I would have to lean towards avoiding it because the word specifically says to avoid arguments and battle rapping is a form of arguing (2 Timothy 2:23-26). Of course the LORD can be glorified in such quarrels as this, just like you see in the video as Issac did a masterful job of doing. But I would not encourage Christians to engage in battle rapping, especially those young in the faith. I am not an authority in this and don't claim to be but I am honestly speaking my opinion. I would highly suggest to any Christian rapper to pray for wisdom before entering battle rap contests and to seek the LORD through prayer and counsel from a few mentors (Prov 24:6, Prov 15:22). I would have to say that part of me agrees with you about there being an evangelical purpose in it but we must remember Jesus didn't constantly hang out at the bars and with sinners, it was isolated incidences with purpose and guidance from the Father.

    I would imagine that it would be easy for a Christian to want to attend ciphers on a regular basis but I would be afraid that it would begin a slow fade in their walk. Like I said it's a tough call but I don't want to put God in a box either. But at the same time I don't want to make a decision based on my emotions and abilities (John 5:19).

    Keep on challenging us though to have these types of discussions. :) God bless you brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where you coming from. I would say avoiding it is probably the best thing to do. I always look at the heart of things (not saying you don't). It does say avoid arguments but we debate and do things that could be considered a form of argument. I would say that the arguing 2 Timothy is talking about is the kind that causes division or is unproductive.When people have bad motives behind arguing. Also it says to avoid them, not that all are bad so I see exactly what your saying. I wouldn't encourage young rappers to battle as well. Yes , Christians should make sure they are accountable and not put themselves in a position where they could stumble in their walk. I think you have to be called to do something like that. That is a very specific type of rapping and doing it for God is very difficult.It's a tricky subject.

    ReplyDelete