Thursday, May 17, 2012

Hip-Hop lives in Miami: its home is a place called Catalyst




Hip-Hop and I go way back. I remember driving in my cousin’s car and falling in love with Hip-Hop while listening to Eminem’s hit single “The Real Slim Shady”.  I was probably about 6 or 7 years old, no older than 8. Ever since then I was infatuated with the art of emceeing. I would listen to as many records I could get my hands on. I loved to go to used record stores and find the classics. I would spend hours trying to conjure up lyrics and flow patterns. As time progressed I started performing at open mics and events and decided to pursue a career in the music industry. Now at the age of twenty I am still honing my craft and trying to somehow break into music industry. I say all of that to say this: I am extremely passionate about Hip-Hop culture. Being that I live in Miami it can sometimes be hard to find others who share the same sentiments that I do for Hip-Hop. Miami is known for its power 96 party music and isn’t revered as a lyrical hot spot like New York and Chicago are. Don’t get it twisted I have met some authentic Hip-Hop aficionado’s and I have come into contact with some small Hip-Hop back pack lyrical communities but it’s really a rare species in Miami overall, in my opinion. At least it is compared to the vibrant poetic activity you hear about in the North parts of the U.S. Despite everything I just said Hip-Hop is not dead in Miami. There is a spot in Miami Springs keeping alive the essence of the culture and doing it in excellence. That place is called Catalyst.

I would have never expected a place like this to be in Miami and now I am being put on to some other spots but I feel there won’t be one that is as unique as what I discovered at Catalyst. I learned about Catalyst through a mentor of mine Manny “Jblaze” Garcia. He told me that if I wanted to see if I was a true lyricist that I should test my skills at Catalyst. I heard that one of my favorite groups Rhema Soul had performed there as well. I was very intrigued when he told me about the spot. Months after he told me about Catalyst he informed me that I would be performing at Catalyst for DJ Twin’s birthday party on Cinco de Mayo. Finally I would be able to check out the spot I had wanted to see.

After searching for Catalyst I finally arrived. It was in a back street in Miami Springs behind a Church. As I walked past the gates the excitement level increased. As soon as I saw dudes spray painting whole walls the excitement level went off the radar. I walked up the stairs and there before my eyes were serious Hip-Hop heads break dancing/creating graffiti art/emceeing and DeeJaying that organic Hip-Hop. REAL HIP-HOP!!! I encountered a bunch of dudes who were passionate about the art of Hip-Hop. I got to meet some awesome people like Joel Stigale (dude in charge lol), Sekajipo, Rudy Barro, Charlie Fast, Dee Jay Twin plus other great people. The Catalyst is an authentic Hip-Hop spot that you got to check out. Any Hip-Hop artist can pretty much go and express themselves but beware you will get merked on the mic if you aren’t a real emcee lol. The Catalyst was a mind stimulating experience but what impressed me more than the elements of Hip-Hop that were executed was the fact that it was a place that’s main goal was to help people walk in their purpose and find the life changing hope of Jesus Christ. This place exposes the most secular artist you can think of to the saving Knowledge of Jesus and they don’t beat people over the head with it. They create an environment where respectful dialogue on important matters can be talked about. It was powerful to see one of the illest artists in South Florida “Sekajipo” be more than an artist and actually minister in the middle of the night. If you want a dope positive Hip-Hop spot with food, great entertainment and intellectual commentary check out the Catalyst. #real talk - link for more info http://www.catalysthiphop.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment